Appliance Repair Forum

Bosch SHU66C02 dishwasher detergent dispenser doesn't open

By oldtrlrnr - 4/28/2011 5:22:56 PM

Recently the soap dispenser on this dishwasher stopped opening at all. It had failed to open occasionally over the preceding few months, but now it won't open at all. I cleaned it and lubed the pivot shaft & latches with WD40, no help.

I downloaded a Bosch dishwasher troubleshooting manual, but it does not list my model. I ran the test cycle described for the SHI/U 68 dishwashers, and it seemed to proceed OK. Here are the results:

- Cycle Countdown LED displays 0 (zero)
- Red lights flashing:
- Cycle Countdown
- Sanitized
- Scrub Wash
- Delicate/Econo
(these last two were the ones I pressed simultaneously to start
the test.)
- The detergent door did not open.

The most important thing I need is to find out how to diagnose whether the dispenser is bad, or it's just not getting the signal to open.
I've removed the door outer cover and can see the dispenser, but I'm not sure how to remove it. I can probably figure it out, but would prefer to have model-specific instructions to avoid missteps. I can order the manual for this model for $10, but it would take several days to arrive.

It would really be helpful if someone could give me advice on how to test the dispenser, R&R it, and where to put the plastic blocks that fell out when I removed the outer door.

Grateful for any advice.

Pacific Palisades, CA
By Kelly Smith - 4/29/2011 4:39:39 AM

Hi, Bob! Sorry to hear of your dishwasher trouble. The dispenser can be tested by entering the diagnostics mode and checking for voltage at the dispenser actuator. I have posted a link for you to download the full color service manual. It will give you clear instructions as well as great pictures to aid you in diagnosing your machine. FYI, it has been my experience that the actuator fails WAY more often than the control.

Service Manual

By oldtrlrnr - 4/29/2011 2:00:02 PM

Hey, Kelly,  Thanks for the manual - I'm downloading it now.  Re: "actuator vs control", by actuator do u mean the dispenser itself?  I'm hoping it is the dispenser, as it's in the door assy,  easy to get at. But I don't want to buy the new part if I'm not sure that's the problem - it costs ~ $75 + shipping.

By Kelly Smith - 4/29/2011 2:34:11 PM

Yes, the actuator that is part of the dispenser assembly. It is pretty pricey as well, unfortunately. The link for it is below, though.

Dispenser Assembly  $72.98

By oldtrlrnr - 4/29/2011 3:38:00 PM

The manual did have helpful tips on how to R&R the dispenser, but nothing on diagnosing whether the dispenser is bad or just not getting the signal.
By Kelly Smith - 4/29/2011 6:20:17 PM

You will have to put the machine into disgnostics cycle and then measure voltage to the dispenser actuator. You can also measure the resistance across the dispenser actuator by removing the wires and touch a est lead to each terminal. You should read about 2150 ohms of resistance across the dispenser actuator. Be sure to remove the wires to get an accurate reading.

By Kelly Smith - 4/29/2011 6:22:16 PM

Let me know what reading you get after measuring the dispenser actuator.

By oldtrlrnr - 5/1/2011 8:45:57 AM

Yesterday I tested the resistance of the two yellow wires that activate the detergent dispenser.  I got zero ohms, indicating an open circuit.  Haven't had time to explore further yet.
By Kelly Smith - 5/1/2011 11:05:52 AM

You won't need to explore much further, the bimetal is broken inside the actuator. You will need to replace the dispenser assembly.

By oldtrlrnr - 5/1/2011 12:42:33 PM

Oh, that's actually good news, price aside, as the dispenser is easily accessible in the door panel.  So you think no need to do the voltage test, just go ahead & replace the dispenser assy?
By Kelly Smith - 5/2/2011 10:14:47 AM

I would be comfortable replacing the dispenser, given the reading results you provided of the dispenser actuator.

By oldtrlrnr - 5/5/2011 8:31:54 PM

I ordered the detergent dispenser assy (from your link, thanks), and installed it today.  It works!  What a relief!

Installing it was a major PITA, as I had a very hard time getting it to seat far enough for the tabs to engage the flanges on its back side to hold it in place.  I lubed the gasket with silicone spray, but even after that it was difficult.  I never got all the tabs to seat, but it doesn't leak. there must be a secret to installing it easier.

Well, it's done and it dispenses the detergent now. I still have to get the outer door back on, and that's hard getting it to seat & align the screw holes.

Kelly, thanks for your helpful advice.

By Kelly Smith - 5/6/2011 4:20:49 AM

Great job, Bob! You saved a service call and gained some experience for the next time it breaks, which hopefully will be sometime down the road! I do not like servicing Bosch machines. They are difficult to access, especially underneath. Installing the door panel is tricky. I usually remove the control panel and insert it on top of the door front panel so the holes will be lined up with the tabs, then install them together back onto the door frame. I am glad you got it fixed, nice work. Thanks for the update and again, great job on fixing this yourself!

By Anonymous - 5/18/2011 1:31:27 PM

Sure would like to know the secret of getting the dispenser to seat properly, so the springs snap in. I'm having that problem right now.

Any suggestions?

Tom Morrison

By Anonymous - 5/18/2011 1:52:18 PM

It seemed like the top spring were more likely to snap in than the bottom ones, so I didn't place the unit in evenly, rather I tiled it so the top springs were just about to snap in. I then took the flat fin on a hammer (bought the hammer like that in Germany) and gave the top springs a light tap just behind the holding taps. This made the springs jump in behind the tabs.

I pulled on the bottom section of the unit but it did't move enough to make the springs snap in place. 4 Home Depo paint sticks were laid flat on the door and I placed the fin of the of the hammer under a side tab. Using the paint sticks as a fulcrum, I was able to the the outside spring to snap in place. Used the same trick on the other side and then tapped the springs in place with the hammer fin. Maybe you could try a mini crowbar of sorts.

This is stone age technology but what are you supposed to do? Would love to see how the engineer who designed in, would replace it, with just his "at home" toolbox.

Thanks for the log anyway.

Thomas Morrison

By Kelly Smith - 5/18/2011 2:40:37 PM

Are you talking about the spring that holds the cover open/shut? What is your model number so I may pull up a picture of what you are working on?

By Anonymous - 5/18/2011 2:52:22 PM

thanks Kelly.

The model number was shu43co2uc/17 serial fd84j0100177 and I purchased the part number 490467. Anyway the door is back on and the dispenser installed.

I do have

By Anonymous - 5/18/2011 2:55:04 PM

I do have a question.. 2 back plastic parts fell out of the bottom of the door as I was dismanteling it. They must be spacers at the bottom to keep the metal from bending. I could not find where there were origionally. Any ideas?

Also I started to use your link to download the manual, but then a program had to be installed on my computer first. Is this normal? i thought the manual would be a pdf file.

Thomas Morrison

By Kelly Smith - 5/18/2011 3:25:26 PM

The plastic spacers go in slots near the bottom of the door. The picture below may help identify where. The service manual is in pdf form, not sure why it is trying to get you to download something?? Was it Adobe Reader that it wanted to install?

By Kelly Smith - 5/18/2011 3:27:04 PM

You can send me a private message with your email address and I can just send it as an attachment on an email if you want.

By Anonymous - 5/21/2011 1:36:22 AM

Kelly this was a great service, thank you very much.

I will replace those black spacer when I have time. The manual was downloaded. The page is loaded with banners from other sites, there was even on directly on top of the down load button!

When I finally closed all the banners and hit the download button, the hour glass just kept spinning and didn't change. It did however download, as a *.pdf, without any notification, but it worked.

You were completely helpful.

Thomas Morrison

By Kelly Smith - 5/21/2011 6:28:59 AM

That's great! I know the ads can be quite bothersome, but I haven't found any other free sharing sites that are as easy to use as that one. I personally use Skype between friends and other techs and it is outstanding, but it does require Skype to be downloaded and installed on your computer. Well, glad you got the manual, anyway. Have a great weekend!

By Anonymous - 5/21/2012 2:13:58 AM

I saw this post and we're having the same issue with our SHV66A model and would like to avoid an expensive service call. Does someone have the service manual for this model so we can troubleshoot and fix ?

By Anonymous - 5/21/2012 2:24:48 AM

I posted that I was having the same issue but I put the wrong model # - it's the SHY66C model. Any help would be great.

By Citroen - 12/24/2012 3:32:00 AM

Hi Kelly,

What do you think about replacing just the Wax motor?

Is that possible ?

By Kelly Smith - 12/24/2012 5:05:12 AM

Hi, thanks for your inquiry! On most Bosch dishwasher dispensers, the wax motor is not available as a separate part. It usually comes with the dispenser as an assembly. Checking the model you listed, this is likely the case, However, if you have the entire model number, I am happy to look again.

By Citroen - 12/24/2012 5:33:08 AM

Hi Kelly,

I have not taken it apart yet to do any tests or to see a number on the wax motor.

It was working intermittently, now the door will not ever stay closed, sometimes it would not open to late.

Will run the washer for 2 minutes open it drop in dishwashing capsule till after the Holidays.

Happy Holidays to all

By Kelly Smith - 12/24/2012 5:39:43 AM

Thank you! The dispenser is actually available in pieces on this model, but since the door will not stay closed, this is not an issue with the control or wax motor, but a mechanical problem with the latching system. I would recommend replacing the dispenser, available below.

Dispenser Assembly $59.66     <------ CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART

By Citroen - 12/24/2012 5:53:54 AM

Thanks Kelly,

By Kelly Smith - 12/25/2012 9:12:26 AM

You are very welcome!
By Citroen - 12/29/2012 7:16:18 AM

Hi Kelly,

Does this manual cover SHE68P05UC/63?

Is SHV68 close enough to follow codes.

The guts look like the models in the manual, My dishwasher has digital controls on the top edge of door & a digital read out on face of door.

My dispenser may be Human Error, seems that when you close the door it needs to slightly be pushed down for it to catch now, maybe some plastic ware?

Thanks for the help,

By Kelly Smith - 12/29/2012 7:35:13 AM

That is a training manual that covers many models, the diagnostic codes should be the same, yes.